Request a Callback
By clicking on submit I / We give consent for you to call me / us on the number provided to discuss my / our financial requirements.
Life Insurance, Critical Illness Cover and Income Protection for people with Osteoarthritis
Also Known as: OA, degenerative joint disease
Linked with: Arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, obesity, stress
Possible Symptoms: Inflammation around joints, bony growths around joints, cartilage damage, ‘knobbly’ joints, pain and stiffness, grinding of the joint (crepitus)
Osteoarthritis Life Insurance applications can be accepted at standard terms with many insurers provided that the condition is mild and no surgery is pending. If the condition greatly affects multiple joints and you take strong medication it is possible that the insurer may offer policy terms at special rates; this will involve an increase to the original policy premium. Where you are awaiting surgery for the condition you will may be advised to delay your application until after the operation has occurred and you have recuperated.
Critical Illness Cover
When you apply for Critical Illness Cover, osteoarthritis will be assessed by the insurer based upon the severity of the condition (amount of joints affected), medications that are being used to control the illness and whether you are awaiting surgery. Osteoarthritis Critical Illness Cover policies can be available at ordinary rates provided that the condition is mild, no strong medication is taken and no surgery is scheduled. Where the condition is more severe and stronger medications are in use it is probable that your policy terms will be loaded. This may involve either a premium increase or an exclusion on the policy for claims related to your osteoarthritis.
Again, if you are awaiting surgery you will be advised to submit your application once the surgery has been completed.
Please note that if you opt for your Critical Illness Cover to include TPD (Total Permanent Disability) then this part of the cover may come with an exclusion for your condition.
Applications for Income Protection for those with osteoarthritis can be placed with a number of insurance providers. The policy terms that you are offered will differ between different providers based upon their own underwriting guidelines for the condition: severity, history of medication, pending surgery and any time taken off work. It is likely that any policy terms that you are offered will exclude any claims related to your osteoarthritis. Depending upon the severity of your condition and any additional medical disclosures that you need to make, the terms may also include a premium increase.
You may wish to consider Accident, Sickness and Unemployment cover as an alternative to Income Protection, as your osteoarthritis will not be taken into consideration at the point of application. Whilst the policies are not medically underwritten at the point of application, any claim that you make will exclude anything related to existing conditions, so you will not be covered for a claim related to osteoarthritis. Accident, Sickness and Unemployment cover can provide short-term income protection for 12 to 24 months in the event that you cannot work due to injury, illness or involuntary unemployment.
Osteoarthritis & Travel Insurance
Medications and Treatments
- Acemetacin (Emflex)
- Aspirin (Anadin Original, Disprin, Nu-Seals)
- Capsaicin (Zacin)
- Celecoxib (Celebrex)
- Codeine/Paracetamol (Tylex)
- Dexibuprofen (Seractil)
- Dexketoprofen trometamol (Keral)
- Diclofenac Diethylammonium (Voltarol Emulgel)
- Diclofenac potassium (Voltarol Rapid)
- Diclofenac sodium (Dicloflex, Diclomax, Econac, Motifene, Voltarol, Voltarol Dispersible)
- Etodolac (Eccoxolac, Lodine)
- Etoricoxib (Arcoxia)
- Felbinac (Traxam)
- Flurbiprofen (Froben)
- Hydrocortisone acetate (Hydrocortistab)
- Ibuprofen (Anadin Ibuprofen, Brufen, Calprofen, Cuprofen, Hedex Ibuprofen, Nurofen)
- Indometacin (Indolar, Pardelprin)
- Ketoprofen (Ketoci, Ketovaild, Orudis, Oruvail, Powergel)
- Lidocaine/Methylprednisolone acetate (Depo-medrone with Lidocaine)
- Mefenamic Acid (Ponstan)
- Methylprednisolone acetate (Depo-Medrone)
- Misoprostol/Naproxen (Napratec)
- Nabumetone (Relifex)
- Naproxen/Esomeprazole magnesium trihydrate
- Piroxicam (Feldene)
- Prednisolone acetate (Deltastab)
- Tenoxicam (Mobiflex)
- Tiaprofenic Acid (Surgam)
Get a Quote
What We Offer?
- Experienced and knowledgeable advisers
- Specialist advice with no fees to pay
- Full assistance with all of your paperwork
- Put your policy into trust at no cost
- A dedicated insurance adviser for you