As a member of the Armed Forces RAF, insurance providers will require your application for Life Insurance to detail your specific job tasks, active deployment status now and within six months, and if the policy is to protect a mortgage liability. Insurance providers require this information so that they can fully assess the risk that your occupation presents.
There are a number of providers who will accept Life Insurance applications from members of the RAF with no price increase, commonly referred to as standard terms. Factors such as your own and familial medical history will also play a part in the decision as to whether your case is accepted at standard or special rates.
There is no one insurance provider who is best for RAF Life Insurance and we would suggest speaking with an insurance adviser before placing your application. Your occupation, medical history, BMI and age will all contribute to determining which insurance provider is most likely to accept you at favourable terms. Whilst your application may be accepted at standard terms it is important to understand that your occupation could lead to your policy being heavily rated.
Get a Life Insurance Quote
Critical Illness Cover
As a member of the Armed Forces RAF it is sensible to consider how you and your family would remain financially secure should you fall ill with a Critical Illness (work related or otherwise). There is no reason why you should not apply for Critical Illness Cover at the same time that you apply for Life Insurance. There are some insurance providers who will accept your Critical Illness application at standard rates so long as your occupation is not overly hazardous.
RAF Critical Illness Cover can provide you with a lump sum payout should you fall ill with one of up to 59 claimable illnesses. Alternatively Serious Illness contracts can offer you protection should you fall ill with up to 161 illnesses. The illnesses that you are insured for must be diagnosed with a specific severity as determined by the insurance provider and must not have been fully or partially identified before the policy start date.
Get a Critical Illness Cover Quote
You are highly unlikely to be eligible for Income Protection whilst you work for the RAF. This is due to the associated higher risk of you becoming unable to work over a long-term, as a direct result of your occupation. Alternatively you may be eligible for short-term Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Insurance which will provide you with a monthly income should you be unable to work, for a period of up to 24 months. You need to be careful of wording under these policies however, as many exclude accidents that happen whilst working abroad.
Please use our free online quotation system to see how much Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Cover you could receive. Redundancy cover for Armed Forces personnel will come with strict claims criteria and we strongly recommend that you speak with one of our insurance advisers before applying for this cover.
Get an Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Quote
The Special Risks Bureau often handle enquires for members of the Armed Forces, example occupations are:
- Air Operations Support (Aerospace Battle Engineer, Aerospace Systems Operator, Air Cartographer, Air Traffic Control Officer, Air Traffic Controller, Flight Operations Assistant, Flight Operations Officer)
- Aircrew (Pilot, Weapons System Operator, Weapons Systems Operator (Linguist))
- Communications and Intelligence (ICT Aerial Erector, ICT Technician, Intelligent Analyst, Intelligence Analyst (Voice), Intelligence Officer, Photographer)
- Logistics (Caterer, Chef, Driver, Logistics Officer, Mover, Supplier)
- Medical and Medical Support (Biomedical Scientist, Dental Nurse, Dental Officer, Dental Technician, Environmental Health Technician, Medical Officer, Medical Support Officer, Medical Support Officer (Physiotherapist), Nursing Officer, Operating Department Practitioner, Pharmacy Technician, Radiographer, RAF Medic, Registered Nurse (Adult), Registered Nurse (Mental Health), Student Nurse (Adult))
- Personnel Support (Chaplain, Legal Officer, Musician, Personnel Support, Personnel Officer, Physical Training Instructor)
- Security and Defence (Firefighter, RAF Police, RAF Police Officer, RAF Regiment Gunner, RAF Regiment Officer)
- Technical and Engineering (Aircraft Technician (Avionics), Aircraft Technician (Mechanical), Engineering Officer, General Technician Electrical, General Technician Mechanical, General Technician Workshops, Survival Equipment Fitter, Weapon Technician)